Thursday, December 23, 2010

Q&A with Corey Crawford

One of the most talented players in the entire 2010 recruiting class was Corey Crawford, he signed with Clemson. But since then he’s had to make a trip to Hargrave. 

Crawford did an exclusive interview with PalmettoFootballPlus and talked about many different topics including how the trip to Hargrave went and what he’s weighing now.

*********************************************************
Palmetto Football Plus: What was your immediate reaction when you realized you wouldn’t be a part of the 2010 Clemson football team?

Corey Crawford: I was kind of bitter at first. I didn’t expect to have to go a different route like to Hargrave because I didn’t get into Clemson. 

PFP: How did you find out, who told you and what was the whole scenario like?

CC: Coach Swinney told me. He told me that since I didn’t make it I’m going to have to go to Hargrave. He didn’t know if I made into Clemson at first because it took the NCAA a long time to determine if I was going to be qualified or not. They sent me to Hargrave just in case I didn’t make it into Clemson.

PFP: What were your initial feelings about going to Hargrave?

CC: They weren’t good. I just kept wondering why I had to go there because I really didn’t want to go. I just didn’t like the thought of doing the military stuff.

PFP: Did you ever waiver from your Clemson commitment?

CC: No sir, Georgia kept recruiting me and tried to get me to take an official visit but I never did. I stayed true to Clemson the whole time.

PFP: What was it like watching the team play how it did this year?

CC: They did pretty good. But it kind of hurt that I wasn’t there because I was supposed to be. I just kept thinking that I would be there next year to play and to contribute.

PFP: For people that haven’t seen you play or viewed your highlights, describe yourself as a player.

CC: In high school I played outside linebacker and when I got to Hargrave they moved me to defensive end. There are different plays here at Hargrave that I would have my hand down and still drop back into pass coverage. I would be downfield covering some guys, man-to-man.

PFP: Word is that you’ve put on a lot of muscle is that true?

CC: Yes sir, right now I’m at 275. Coming into Hargrave I was a little bit under 250.

PFP: Before you went to Hargrave did you get any advice from anybody on the Clemson team?

CC: I talked to Josh Watson. He was at Hargrave the year before I was. I talked to Jonathan Meeks about it too. They told me to keep my head up and it would just make me better.

PFP: Does this just make you much hungrier to perform when you do put on that Clemson Tiger uniform?

CC: Yeah, it just makes me want to play harder. It makes me want to be better than I ever wanted to be. I can’t wait to go in. I just can’t wait to get there so I can unleash everything when I go out and play.

PFP: What did you think about what Da’Quan Bowers did this year?

CC: I thought that was great. He’s one of the best at his position.

PFP: Other than Da’Quan Bowers, who else impressed you on the defensive line?

CC: The whole defensive line was pretty good. They were all very physical. I liked Jarvis Jenkins holding down the middle along with Brandon Thompson. Then you have Andre Branch coming off the end opposite of D.Q. I think they had a real good defensive line last year. And then you also had Kourtnei Brown coming off the bench and he’s a guy that contributed a lot. Overall I think they were one of the nation’s top defensive lines.

PFP: What’s it like knowing that when you go to Clemson you are going to get coached by two of the best defensive line coaches in America, Coach Dan Brooks and Coach Chris Rumph?

CC: I feel honored about it. I feel like it’s just an honor to be in a place where you get to learn from somebody who has put a lot of people in the NFL like Coach Brooks and Coach Rumph have. I just hope that I can learn enough to make it to that level one day.

PFP: Out of all the offers you had coming out of high school in 2010, what made you choose Clemson?

CC: The main thing was is that I could see myself at Clemson for the next four years because the coaches are more than just coaches they are almost like your father away from home. When I met the players I just had an immediate bond with them. As soon as I got there the first time I knew that I was at home.

PFP: What is it about Coach Swinney and his attitude that attract prospects like you to him?

CC: He’s real and he’s humorous. He’s also very spiritual. I think that’s the main thing for a lot of guys. I felt like I needed a man like him in my life to lead me the right way.

PFP: Have you looked at the recruiting class Clemson has lined up for 2011?

CC: Yes sir. I think it’s an outstanding class. I met Marlin Lane, the running back from Florida, and I also met Cortez Davis, the safety. I can’t wait to play with those guys. I can’t wait to see what happens. I really believe that with this class coming in and the talent that we already have I think we can end up winning the ACC Championship and going to a big time BCS bowl game next year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we did that.

PFP: Are you going to enroll in January?

CC: Yes, I’m all set to enroll January 10th. I can't wait, Go Tigers!

1 comment:

  1. gotta love the attitude these new recruits have..crawford is going to be a beast..these are the type of players clemson need..HUNGRY TO WIN

    ReplyDelete